Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Tuesday 1 January 2019

MY RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH (Christmas Project)

On Christmas Day I was inspired to start a suitably appropriate project, to build a Russian Orthodox Church. It was a year ago that I picked up a wooden container in a charity shop for £1, and it was obvious the lid would be quite suitable for something eastern, and perfect for something Russian. The following photos are pretty well self-explanatory. The completed model is not really dateable as it has features from several periods in Russian history, but as it was my intention to not only capture my interest in the State of Muscovy, but also my love of Christmas, I don't think it matters. The green roof is inspired by a 17th century Russian palace, the dome is very 16th century, the yellow walls are 18th century, while the woodwork ornamentation is medieval. Together, they make a very colourful ornament on the war-games table. Additional costs were £3 for the yellow paint, and £2 for the glass taken from a broken lantern in a charity shop. With additional paint and glue it came to £7 total. Being pleased with the results, I took time to cast up some Orthodox Christian crosses. For the record, working on and off, I completed this project at 11.45am today, New Years Day. Hope you all had a great Christmas, and have a Happy New Year!
Michael











12 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful church and one should be proud of making such a lovely look piece.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Robbie, its a home-made Christmas decoration. Best wishes to you and yours for the New Year.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Very smart, I couldn't even begin to do something like that.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, pleased the project is finished, its good to clear the spares box too. By the way, love the work you are doing on the Eureka castings. Best wishes for the New Year.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Great job on the church! Like Dave, above, I doubt I could something off like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, I think I'm visiting too many charity shops, to be honest. Still, I am glad now its complete. Thanks for the support, and have a great New Year.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Hello Michael, been terribly busy the last few weeks and I am just catching up. Wonderful AWI table in the last Post and the church is a fine start to the new year. I have been asking around various sources on the subject of pre Batavian Dutch artillery and the subject really is rather vague. Some say blue, some red some say "Battery Commanders whim" so much the same results as in my last comment really, no change. So whatever you decide to use on your Dutch guns, there is little chance of you being scorned by "those who know better".
    A very happy and healthy new year to you.
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CB, good to hear all is well. Yes, I came to the same opinion on Dutch ordnance. Perhaps they were linked to their respective states? Anyhow, Ive adopted a Prussian mid-blue and red decoration, black metalwork. Hope to upload some photos of recent games in a few days. Best wishes for the New Year.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. A gorgeous and impressive bit of model making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats kind of you, Colin. I just wanted to make something suitably festive, and at the same time clear the spares box a little. I'm looking forward to using it with my renaissance Muscovites.
      Best wishes for the New Year,
      Michael

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheers James, it has turned out rather colourful, and it was fun to put together.
      Best wishes for the New Year!
      Michael

      Delete