Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Sunday 30 August 2020

18TH CENTURY POLICE/GEORGIAN TOWN 28MM

Despite my recent absence from wargaming some general maintenance did take place to my Georgian town. Thought it was also time the civil authorities had some ability to keep the peace without having to call out the Local Volunteers. The foot police are Trent Miniatures, the mounted are some converted Hinchliffe figures. I include some photos of new wagons, and another of His Majesty King George the Third inspecting some vintage artillery, these old pieces may date back to the 1930s?, and they can still fire matchsticks. Hope my paintjob has given them new life. 

MGB






 

8 comments:

  1. What a splendid town, I do hope we see more about it and how it came together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, the town was built some thirty years ago, and is made of cardboard, wood, polyfilla, and anything else that might work. Emulsion paints and some car sprays were used. There is one resin building too. Later, I started fixing my buildings to MDF, and adding pavements. There is a harbour board which is also paved. I can honestly say, it has developed, and had restoration just like any real town lol. The harbour defences were added in the 2010s, as were a few street lamps. About eight buildings were demolished (actually given to friends) and others built in their place. I scaled them to 28mm but later wished the scale had been reduced for games, but I now use them for my 54mm too, so it balanced out. Michael

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation, really interesting looking town. What rules are you using for your games these days?

      Delete
    3. Although I experimented with several, I ended up combining a set originally devised by Peter Helm (for the AWI) with some of my own mechanisms. All devised to reduce the paperwork, and to allow a fast game with large or small armies, that can be concluded in a few hours. Morale dominates and typically the losses are greatly outnumbered by those routing. I think the results are logical, although a series of bad dice throws can cause interesting results or flukes. National characteristics, based on 18th century battle results (history!), is fully respected. Michael

      Delete
  2. Those figures and the town look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you A.P., its a bit disturbing to think much of the model town is a quarter of a century old lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on this town and the civilian bystanders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir. Its a nice side-aspect to the wargaming hobby.
      Michael

      Delete