Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Saturday 3 October 2015

Re-organising the French Army

I had initially raised six 'blanc' battalions of twenty with another of detached grenadiers.  Unfortunately, this still left me with a fair number of spares in different poses, so I have implemented some drastic changes which I hope will also work better for game scenarios. As the white/green battalion still required some major restoration work, and it was somewhat surplus to my plans, I decided to risk a paint stripping. Although a bit of a chore, it has been quite successful, and the cleaned and primed figures have allowed me to form three new (6-figure) independent companies, a fourth coming from my spares box. Other adjustments include my white/red battalion being increased to 32, and the white/blue battalion to 24. My skirmishing blue-coated grenadiers (10 figs) have also been rebased and increased to 16, providing a second unit of elite troops. Those remaining in the spares box will enhance command bases etc. MGB 

2 comments:

  1. Describing paint stripping as a bit of a chore is wonderful example of true british understement!
    It's even worse than re-basing!!

    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, In truth, its not something I recommend to others, but I just wasn't happy with the original battalion. As I wanted some other units and the castings looked the part, I was able to justify it. Even with that hassle, it has been worth the effort, have already painted them up and will be uploading very, very shortly. Michael

      Delete