Wargame Rules


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible yet capture the character of the 1790s. Accordingly, most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies.

Followers

Sunday, 6 August 2017

News from the French Camp, cavalry guidons and standards have arrived

Decided to paint up a batch of French cavalry guidons for the 1792-6 period. Eight are now pretty well complete, and a flag was also issued to a light battalion. Surviving examples indicate a basic design for the various cavalry arms but these were then ornamented in a regimental or idiosyncratic manner.
MGB


Monday, 17 July 2017

The French Cavalry are in a total mess!

I mentioned to CB, recently on this page, that my French Revolutionary cavalry are in a very bad way. That I was not only raising new units,  but reconstituting and increasing others. That this plan was to involve casting some of my own specials, and purchasing quite a few more from Dixon. Truly, my little collection is in a total mess. Hope those that follow this blog will not be offended if I prove this point with a photograph. I know the real Revolutionary cavalry were reported as being often in an irregular state, but this is ridiculous. So now the work can begin.
MGB

Tuesday, 20 June 2017

The Old Royal Army have a field day c.1792

Having risked an entire battalion with paint remover, I'm pleased to report that the 8th Regiment has now received their new uniforms, colours and weaponry. Thought it was time to muster the five Line battalions, one grenadier battalion, and some depot companies of another regiment. In all, 140 whitecoats mustered for the inspection. Also attending were the infantry of the Batave Legion, and colours were duly presented.
MGB



Monday, 8 May 2017

Naval battery of 18pdrs, ready for service

Just completed a naval battery of 18pdrs. Although painted up as Royal Navy, this unit could just as well represent American, Dutch, and perhaps even French if I add a suitable commander. It could also cover both the American Revolution or the early years of the French Revolution. Most of the figures are Dixon Miniatures but other makes have been drafted. The guns are from Hinchcliffe.
MGB




Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Wargaming the French Revolutionary Wars, another site

Just a quick mention here. Colin Ashton has a war-game website which includes some superb photos of his 28mm French Revolutionary armies, including British and Russian armies. Do have a view. I'm still trying to put a permanent link to his site but it won't upload to my sidebar, for some reason.
MGB
http://www.carryingsonupthedale.com

Saturday, 29 April 2017

AWI BAGGAGE TRAIN

Two more wagons were completed yesterday. With their loyal militia attendants, these will be attached to my British AWI troops. Another three wagons are just awaiting their drivers to be painted and they will be serving with my British FRW army. I'm rather pleased with the cart as this is my own casting using up some spare wheels. MGB


Saturday, 22 April 2017

Dutch Artillery Battery for 1793

Some time back I picked up these artillerymen roughly painted up as French. When I decided to repaint them I also felt they would look more appropriate in my Allied army, serving as Dutch. More recent acquisitions which I have just completed are the two Prussian cannon and, originally, an ACW cart which I have converted into something more 18th century, moving the axle and replacing the shafts. I think it now looks quite suitable.
MGB