Wargame Rules


I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible yet capture the character of the 1790s. Accordingly, most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies.


Monday, 26 October 2015

French Revolutionary Game, c1793 (Photos)

Just fought with friends a fairly large action between a British/Dutch/Émigré force numbering 206 figures, with George commanding, and a French Revolutionary army, 400 strong, with Chris commanding. It was a simple scenario inspired by the actions about Hondschoote in 1793. The French making numerous assaults against the Allied positions, including a strong redoubt. Despite large numbers involved, we completed the game in under five hours, with results which seemed fair and appropriate, but it must be said several situations became strange due to particularly poor dice throws by the Allied player. On one occasion the Marine Battalion had an 85% chance of standing, and scored 89, while the British Light Battalion had a 95% chance of standing, and scored 96. No rules can compensate for that level of chance influencing the game. Although many levee battalions were broken in the assault, the French cavalry and white coated regulars were covered enough by levee troops to approach and engage the Allies, and when the French cavalry took the Allies right flank, there was no possibility of stemming the French numbers on two fronts. Once more, the game fully captured the period, and gave us a chance to experience aspects of this conflict. MGB

Here are the casualties from the game. Allies: 26 K+W, 56 missing. French 69 K+W, 43 missing. Noteworthy, it is very likely 40 Allied missing 'would' have rallied at the nearest location had time allowed.


Thursday, 15 October 2015

Crann Tara farm workers 28mm (18th century/AWI)

Here are my completed 28mm farm labourers which I purchased via Crann Tara Miniatures. The figures arrived with little or no flash and remind me very much of the Hezzlewood style, which I like a great deal. These are the first of what will be my new AWI collection. MGB

Sunday, 11 October 2015

18th Century Slave Quarters (AWI and FRW)

This is a model I actually put together in 2011, using different types of card, the wood glue and mdf base making it a very sturdy construction. Based on some still standing accommodation for slaves, I am planning to get a lot more use from this model in future American War of Independence games, or West Indian actions during the French Revolutionary Wars. Gun limber and figures are from Hinchliffe. MGB




Monday, 5 October 2015

French Foot Gendarmes c.1793 (Gendarmerie a pied)

Here are my two companies (or sections) of foot gendarmes for the late 18th century. Period and contemporary illustrations show some diversity in uniform detail but its also probable that there were variations in the local units. Interestingly, the 32nd Division of gendarmerie a pied, 400 strong,  participated in the battle of Hondschoote in 1793 (see illustration below) so their place on a wargames table is quite appropriate. I have based mine individually as skirmish games may require gendarmes to provide occasional sentries and road blocks in my Georgian town and harbour. MGB
ps. these figures were originally part of my white/green battalion which was paint-stripped.


Saturday, 3 October 2015

Re-organising the French Army

I had initially raised six 'blanc' battalions of twenty with another of detached grenadiers.  Unfortunately, this still left me with a fair number of spares in different poses, so I have implemented some drastic changes which I hope will also work better for game scenarios. As the white/green battalion still required some major restoration work, and it was somewhat surplus to my plans, I decided to risk a paint stripping. Although a bit of a chore, it has been quite successful, and the cleaned and primed figures have allowed me to form three new (6-figure) independent companies, a fourth coming from my spares box. Other adjustments include my white/red battalion being increased to 32, and the white/blue battalion to 24. My skirmishing blue-coated grenadiers (10 figs) have also been rebased and increased to 16, providing a second unit of elite troops. Those remaining in the spares box will enhance command bases etc. MGB