Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Monday 17 July 2017

The French Cavalry are in a total mess!

I mentioned to CB, recently on this page, that my French Revolutionary cavalry are in a very bad way. That I was not only raising new units,  but reconstituting and increasing others. That this plan was to involve casting some of my own specials, and purchasing quite a few more from Dixon. Truly, my little collection is in a total mess. Hope those that follow this blog will not be offended if I prove this point with a photograph. I know the real Revolutionary cavalry were reported as being often in an irregular state, but this is ridiculous. So now the work can begin.
MGB

5 comments:

  1. Well, after you mentioning the total mess I must admit I was expecting worse. Looks like a nice little project and you have sorted them out a bit.
    Taking one unit at a time and getting them fit for the table will bring more colour and joy to the table. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

    Best regards
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, Have started work on a single squadron belonging to the Hussards de la Mort. Just four figures will suffice as I'm planning to attach them to a larger unit. Might raise a second squadron at a later date. Have also cast up a sabre which I'm about to issue to my Allobroges Legion cavalry, when I have completed the command base, it will muster eight figures. Yes, the project has excited my interest, vital if I'm to have the resolve to paint anything.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. By the way, Phil Ball over at Irregular Miniatures has written book "A waste of blood and treasure" about the Anglo-Russian invasion of North Holland in 1799. Could be worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw the book mentioned on another blog, I typically prefer the 1792-96 period in the Low Countries (for researching) not least because I haven't a single Russian 18th century figure in my collection lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. I know this feeling Michael, but the trick is, as CB hints, steel yourself to concentrate on a few complete units and get them finished and on show, then quietly work away at the rest with no one watching!
    Chris
    http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete