Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Sunday 20 September 2020

MY RUSSIAN SUBMARINE c.1721

I have cross-posted this from my other blog SCIMITAR & CRESCENT WARGAMES, as it is also an 18th century subject, something which I do occasionally post on this page. Some time last year I picked up a small treen pot for 50p in a charity shop. Thought I might be able to make something interesting out of it. Today I have de facto completed my Efim Nikonov submarine, originally designed in 1721. I point out it was only designed that year as it failed all its testing, and the Russian government scrapped its funding for this project. Hope you agree, however, if it had worked, it would have been a useful weapon against the Ottoman fleet operating in the Black Sea....... and I hope to find out soon! MGB











7 comments:

  1. Thanks Allan, it all came together quite easily, and cleared some odd bits of metal and plastic-card too. I'm planning a simple naval raid on an Ottoman held town, the issue will be whether it sinks on route, dragged by the current, runs out of air, or the mine fails to explode.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and wonderful pictures, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, it had been some time since its purchase, and finding a project to embark on lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. WONDERFUL! It's all fantasy until you get to the final pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir, pleased the post was of some interest.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Absolutely FABULOUS! The design is very similar to that of David Bushnell's "Turtle" from the American Revolution, turned on its side. Amazing job on your model, and I look forward to seeing it in action against the Turks on your tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. Yes, I was aware of the Rebel 'Turtle', the modern view is that it was also a failure, but the rumour for such a craft 'might' have encouraged a Crown vessel to depart a river position. Actually, I believe two previous experiments in England (one of which was by a Dutchman), had been successful, but neither were embraced as having a naval value. At this point, I could make a witty remark as to which navy needed to learn how to operate under the sea. Yes, my Muscovite campaign will commence with a quick chance game against the Ottoman ships aiding the Tartars...... wish it luck!
      Michael

      Delete