Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Wednesday 5 August 2015

French Headquarters Marquee/Tent (28mm)

The French Army appears to have occasionally received white tents with blue stripes in the 18th century. During the Revolution some of the officers' marquees are shown with additional red stripes. Here is my Command Headquarters, made of cardboard and wood glue. Rather than loose figures I have fixed twelve staff officers and sentries to the base, and will treat the whole model as a wargame unit and potential military target. MGB








16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Allan, made some marquees for my Ottoman army about 10 years ago, but never for my 18th century collection. I did say your Wittenberg blog is having an influence! Michael

      Delete
  2. Michael,

    Good to see you back in the media.

    Still think your Redcoat Journal was a leading light in the hobby.

    Will follow your blog with much interest.

    Kind Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, Its been twenty years since we last communicated but I have seen numerous reports on how your 18th century collection has become truly the standard to strive for (legendary). So having a kind comment from yourself for my very humble efforts in the past is much appreciated. New technology has certainly created great opportunities for the exchange of ideas (and research). For the record, I closed my business several years ago, and have more time for my hobbies. On the August bank holiday I am staging a three day AWI re-enactment/skirmish for the National Trust at Tyntesfield, near Bristol. Back to wargaming, would you believe me if I said 270 X-Range figures have just arrived, and I intend to purchase some Fife & Drum/Crann Tara miniatures for my new collection. Great hearing from you, Michael

      Delete
  3. Michael,

    Pleased you are back with paintbrush in hand. Lovely to see your work once again.
    You always had a love of the X-Range that Steve made.
    Many of us are on AMG Forum these days. Hopefully we will see you over there one of these days.

    Your blog will be added to my favourites.
    Best Wishes
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On condition, John, you sign the inside when I purchase a certain book next month. Michael

      Delete
  4. Michael,

    Great News!
    The forum re-opens in September after a short summer recess. I really think you will like the friendly atmosphere. No pseudonyms, all members on first name terms.
    Your knowledge/research will be invaluable to members.

    When you are ready to purchase email me at.
    johnrayamg@yahoo.co.uk

    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. A superb addition to the table once again adding yet more period flavour to an already superb collection and table. Always a joy to look in on this blog.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CB, it cost practically nothing but time, and eight of the twelve figures were in my spares box. I really should thank all those companies that supply the card packaging, which I refuse to throw away (lol).

      Delete
  6. great addition to the blog. Alwaysa joy to see new FR figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alde Garde, your efforts to bring information together on the contribution of the Dutch in the FRW has been most useful to me. As soon as your new website is up and running, I will wish to promote it further. Michael

      Delete
  7. I visited a museum in "Den Helder", Holland the other day. There was a large diorama of the British landing at Callantshoog during the FRW. The Dutch troops were shown wearing a rifle green uniform with black accoutrements and bicorn and another Dutch unit was depicted in a flat brown coat with light blue facings, white breeches and accoutrements with plain black bicorns. There were also Dutch cavalry and artillery represented and it is well worth a look if you ever visit north Holland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, thanks for the input, the Alde Garde site has a great deal on the Dutch, but I wonder if those portrayed on the diorama are some kind of local militia formations. If you have any photos would love to upload it here, credited accordingly. Thanks again for the comment. Michael

      Delete
    2. Michael, I have taken several photographs, will be happy to send them to you when I get back home in two weeks. Just need a mail address to send them to, I couldn't figure out how to get them sent via the blog. (not to clever with computers).
      CB

      Delete
    3. That would be great, CB, my email address is skg3member@yahoo.com
      Not too good with computers either, can barely use a tv remote! Hope to fight a wargame in a few weeks time and post up some photos, I far prefer the actions in the Low Countries and the West Indies to the Italian campaigns, but that's my choice. Michael

      Delete
    4. Photos have been sent.Hope you enjoy them.
      CB

      Delete