Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Friday 1 January 2016

FRENCH REVOLUTIONARY RIOTERS & FLAG

I had several painted sans culottes in my spares box, and was keen to use them. Previous attempts to capture the 'mob', or violent rioters, had never quite looked right. I think it was the basing of my figures which had let them down. This larger round base seems to work a lot better. As for the flag, I have read an account of some 'political types' having presented a banner to the French Assembly with a brief description that it was a tricolour with the heads of black, white, and mixed-race persons. When I came across the modern reconstruction, I decided to reproduce it in miniature, with the red section to the pole, in keeping with most pre-1794 flags. I can see my collection including a few more of these round-based mobs as they add something peculiar to my French Revolutionary army. Have also completed a white-coated command base from some spares. MGB



2 comments:

  1. Excellent idea, the mob on round bases. Sets them apart from the troops and instantly recognizable on the tabletop as being something very diffrent. I may have mentioned this before but at the risk of repeating myself I think your basing is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CB, I'm happy with my style of basing, and I have a system that allows me to complete a fair number, all periods, in one evening. But I have seen several other systems which I must admit knock mine to the ground. Yes, the round bases are an attractive formula for breaking up a numerous horde into small, irregular units. I am going to raise some more for sure. Michael

    ReplyDelete