Wargame Rules, Ratios, etc


RAISING MINIATURE ARMIES FOR THE LATE 18TH CENTURY

I am very keen to keep my wargame rules as simple as possible, yet capture the character of the 1790s. Morale dominates the games as the opposing sides are very different. Most of the French troops are 'levee' battalions, which I have chosen to base in column as their ability to change formation on a battlefield must have been limited, nor do I believe their volley fire had any great value. Of better quality, able to change formation, will be white-coated regular and blue-coated volunteer battalions, aided by a fair number of skirmishers. The British, Austrian, Dutch and German armies are often outnumbered, but they maintain the discipline and order of typical 18th century armed forces. Interestingly, French revolutionary cavalry have little in common with their later Napoleonic counterparts, the former are few in number, often poorly mounted, and no match for those in the service of the Allies. All figures are 28mm in scale, using a 1=25 ratio.

Followers

Sunday 24 September 2017

Scratch built Windmill 14th to 18th Century

Finally decided to build a generic windmill, suitable for use in several periods. This is based on the type that appeared in Spain in the 14th century but continued as a popular style for many centuries more. The basic wood cylinder was originally part of a sugar container picked up in a charity shop for £1. My plan included, however, the incorporation of a Swiss music box that was previously part of my late mother's jewellery box, which also included a spinning ballerina. The tune being a fairly well known Spanish melody. With no intention of keeping the jewellery box, I could see a fun potential if I could include it in my windmill model; music and moving sails no less.  Pleased to report, it works, and I can't help smiling each time I wind the key inside the cylinder.
MGB

                                 






9 comments:

  1. Great wind will. Mince repurposing of the wind up motor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter for the support (my automatic spell check does the same to me if I press a neighbouring letter by mistake.) Yes, it was good to find a fun purpose for some odd items. Regards,
      Michael

      Delete
  2. As I said on your other blog, "brilliant!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I think its my first post that has validity on both of my war-game blogs. Appreciate your morale boosts. Regards,
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Super windmill - and the sails go round too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allan, the tv series Camberwick Green has a lot to answer for lol. Regards,
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, it was a fun project and despite my limited funding the result is something worth having.
      Cheers,
      Michael

      Delete